A quick test

A tentative sub-forum for a Ys II Special English AND Japanese translation project. This lost gem was a retelling of Ys II developed by a Mantra, a Korean developer and members of freelance composers who formed SoundTeMP.
josejl
Programmer

A quick test

Post by josejl » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:35 pm

I've started to check Ys II Special, and what I've found so far is kind of interesting.

• The data files aren't compressed at all.
    English text output can be done without further programming.
    The font is on the EXE, although I haven't been able to figure out the format.
    Same goes for the text encoding, it isn't standard by any means. I guess that the font will need to be extracted in order to see how the characters are mapped.
    I totally underestimated the complexity of VGA graphics rendering. This game uses the so called Mode X, which is a lot more complex than PC-98 video output, that's for sure

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Re: A quick test

Post by SkyeWelse » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks for taking a look at this Josejl. I'm still really hoping we can take a look at this one day. I know BatteryShark was also interested in hacking it.

-Thomas

NightWolve

Re: A quick test

Post by NightWolve » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Have fun. I actually thought about messing with this ages ago, but I never could find a Korean to English translator for a Softmax game I wanted to do, so never expected to ever find one for something else. Best place to try is romhacking.net I suppose.