Starting Brandish For The First Time

Brandish, a series of top-down dungeon crawling action-rpgs with a mix of unique camera perspective gameplay mechanics that some players may initially find to be disorienting.
If you learn how to play however, these games offer an incredibly immersive experience.
AnthranDawn

Starting Brandish For The First Time

Post by AnthranDawn » Mon May 18, 2015 9:35 pm

While shopping around I found a copy of the original Brandish for the Super Nintendo. Seeing as how this was pretty much the only series I haven't played from Falcom I bought it right away.

I never had any prior knowledge or exposure to the game, so starting it up and being sent straight in confused me a bit. What threw me for a loop was that you could only walk forward and backward, and changing direction changed the layout of the map on screen.

It was definitely interesting playing it for the first time, and from what I heard you have to get used to how it's played before it becomes a worthwhile experience.
Last edited by AnthranDawn on Mon May 18, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to add me on steam (it's where I'm most active)
Steam ID: AnthranDawn

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Re: Starting Brandish Fir The First Time

Post by SkyeWelse » Mon May 18, 2015 9:53 pm

The SNES version, at least in my opinion, was not really the most flattering version of the game. It does have an option where you can increase the Game Speed, to make it more playable, but it was initially pretty hard for me to get into. At least until Dark Revenant was released for PSP. That game is pretty much the defining experience for the first game in the series and I'd highly recommend that over the SNES version. The SNES version of Brandish 2 isn't too bad, and has significant improvments over the first game, but PC-98 is where the best version lies, which is why there has been a move for a translation project for Brandish 2 Renewal, even though a fan-translation of the SNES version exists already.

Gameplay-wise though, Brandish does take some getting some used to, but again I think it's much easier to get used to the controls of Brandish by playing the PSP version. That game is one of my all time favorite games. I think it's actually on my top ten list.

-Thomas

AnthranDawn

Re: Starting Brandish For The First Time

Post by AnthranDawn » Tue May 19, 2015 12:35 am

I went ahead and got a copy of the PSP version, and it was definitely easier to get into compared to the Super Nintendo version. It took no time at all to get used to the controls and make my way through the first floor.

I'm glad I got into this version instead of getting too far in the SNES version, but I'll probably go back to it to compare the two.
Feel free to add me on steam (it's where I'm most active)
Steam ID: AnthranDawn